Shaunna's Blue Ribbon Whole Wheat Bread
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbsp active dry yeast (I use SAF)
1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup brown sugar (if you're planning on freezing the bread, brown sugar works better than honey)
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat gluten (I use "Blue Chip" brand "Vital Wheat Gluten")
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp nonfat non instant dry milk
1 Tbsp butter/margarine/oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup potato flakes (NOT potato pearls)
Mix ingredients in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like a Bosch or Kitchen-Aid) for 10-12 minutes. If dough is too sticky & isn't cleaning off the inside of the bowl, add a bit more flour & mix a bit longer until it does. Shape into loaf & place in greased loaf pan. Let rise 30-45 min. or until dough is 1 inch higher than top of pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min. Place foil over top of bread & bake 5 min. more. Loaf should sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove bread from pan immediately & let cool on cooling rack.
***This recipe makes 1 loaf. I double mine, & if I had more freezer space, I would quadruple it!
HERE ARE SOME TIPS I FOUND ABOUT BAKING WHEAT BREAD:
Tips for using your own everyday items as dough enhancers in WHEAT BREAD: (It’s best to use ALL THREE of these enhancers when making whole wheat bread)
Gluten: use 1/2 T. - 1 T. per cup of flour (this means before you measure a cup of flour place the 1/2 T.-1 T. gluten in the bottom of your cup and then measure flour as usual)
WHITE Vinegar: use the same amount of vinegar that you are using for yeast (i.e. 1 t. yeast - 1 t. vinegar)
Potato Flakes: use 1/8 to 1/4 C. per loaf of bread you are making, experiment to see what works best in your recipe. (do not substitute in potato pearls, they don’t dissolve as easily and are artificially flavored which you will be able to taste in your bread)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast (I use SAF)
1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup brown sugar (if you're planning on freezing the bread, brown sugar works better than honey)
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat gluten (I use "Blue Chip" brand "Vital Wheat Gluten")
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp nonfat non instant dry milk
1 Tbsp butter/margarine/oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup potato flakes (NOT potato pearls)
Mix ingredients in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like a Bosch or Kitchen-Aid) for 10-12 minutes. If dough is too sticky & isn't cleaning off the inside of the bowl, add a bit more flour & mix a bit longer until it does. Shape into loaf & place in greased loaf pan. Let rise 30-45 min. or until dough is 1 inch higher than top of pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min. Place foil over top of bread & bake 5 min. more. Loaf should sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove bread from pan immediately & let cool on cooling rack.
***This recipe makes 1 loaf. I double mine, & if I had more freezer space, I would quadruple it!
HERE ARE SOME TIPS I FOUND ABOUT BAKING WHEAT BREAD:
Tips for using your own everyday items as dough enhancers in WHEAT BREAD: (It’s best to use ALL THREE of these enhancers when making whole wheat bread)
Gluten: use 1/2 T. - 1 T. per cup of flour (this means before you measure a cup of flour place the 1/2 T.-1 T. gluten in the bottom of your cup and then measure flour as usual)
WHITE Vinegar: use the same amount of vinegar that you are using for yeast (i.e. 1 t. yeast - 1 t. vinegar)
Potato Flakes: use 1/8 to 1/4 C. per loaf of bread you are making, experiment to see what works best in your recipe. (do not substitute in potato pearls, they don’t dissolve as easily and are artificially flavored which you will be able to taste in your bread)






1 comment:
that is an interesting recipe, using potato flakes? I'll have to try it out!! As for now, I use my friend Hilary's, which is also amazing!! Homemade bread is definitely the best stuff ever!!
Post a Comment