Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kentucky Derby

Race for the Roses Pictures, Images and Photos

This time of the year is the best time in Kentucky.  Louisville, KY is where I call home and my family moved there when I was 6, so basically it's where I was raised.  I love it and so wish I could visit more often, especially to take Aaron and my kids there to see thunder over louisville ( the biggest fireworks show in north america)
thunder Pictures, Images and Photos
and then to go to the Kentucky Derby on the first sat. in May.  It's amazing and so much fun to be there.  Growing up we always had parties on this day and would get together with friends to have a BBQ and write down who we think would win and then watch the big race together.  So many good memories.
Derby Trophy w/ Roses Pictures, Images and Photos


Just wanted to share a few things with you that we did for Derby and some great foods too!!!

MINT JULEPS- a drink that is traditional for the derby that mainly involves mint leaves and sugar (and usually bourbon, but since we're talking about non-alcoholic drinks, you skip that part:)
Here's a great recipe for doing your own.  *Must have fresh mint leaves!!!
http://www.tasteoftx.com/bevs/non/ky_derby.html
Now, i need to contact the sister who always made the drinks to get her recipe, but this will do for now.

DERBY PIE-
Derby pie is a pastry created in the Melrose Inn of Prospect, Kentucky, USA, by George Kern with the help of his parents. It is often associated with the Kentucky Derby.
The pie is a chocolate and walnut tart in a pie shell usually with a pastry dough crust. It is also commonly made with pecans, chocolate chips and Kentucky bourbon. Popular additions are butterscotch, caramel, and other types of nuts.
Lets just say that is the BEST ever!!!!
Here's a recipe for it.
http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/derby-pie-60917
Derby Pie Pictures, Images and Photos

So there you have it folks!  Get out there an enjoy the day and watch the race!!!

1 comment:

Macdonalds said...

Kentucky derby pie is one of my favorite treats! My mom made one last week actually and it had been years since I've had it. Yum!