The service was over in Willard, near Brigham. He was in failing health these last few years and his heart just couldn't take it anymore. My grandma passed away 3 years ago, so I feel good knowing that their together now and are happy.
The funeral for me was the first i've attended since my mom's in may. It just brought back so many memories and a little sadness too. I know she's in a better place, but those feelings are still there and probably will be my entire life. I know she was there to welcome him home with grandma there too and hosts of other family members. I think the hardest part for me is when they close the casket at the last time during the family prayer before the service. I remember us gathering around mom for the last time and saying our goodbyes and knowing that that would be the last time to see her physically on this earth. It was hard.
This funeral was the first i've seen where the military was there to honor another soldier. Like I said my grandpa was in WWII, so they covered his casket with the flag and shot the riffles 3 times and played taps. It was an honor to witness this and to see such respect shown for someone who had fought for our country. They folded the flag and gave it to one of his daughters and then all the service men there in attendance, including my dad, gave a salute to him. It was beautiful to watch and i'll remember it always.





3 comments:
sorry to hear about another death in your family, It's been a hard year for you guys. A little easier when they've lived a full life, though, isn't it?
It sounds like it was a beautiful service, and how cool to see a military salute like that, I never had. I'm sorry it brought back so many hard memories, but I hope it also brought back some good ones too!! Love you!!
Veronica,
Sorry to hear about your grandfather, it sounds like the funeral was very nice. Love the blog, the kids are so cute! See ya,
Aubrey
Post a Comment