Thursday, September 18, 2008

sucky dryer

Well, yesterday I was totally pissed off and this has been a long time coming. About a month ago we bought a used dryer off craigslist from a couple who fixes them up and then sells them. The guy owns his own appliance repair business and then does this on the side. Well, I was able to use the dryer about 6 times when it stopped heating up. I called the people and they came and got it and said that they fixed it. I got it home and it worked twice and then did the same thing. We decided to open the back and see what the problem was. The heating element came unplugged, so we plugged it back in and it worked, about 3 times and then went out like before.

We opened up the back again and found that there was nothing unplugged so I called the people and she said she would get back to me. WEll, low and behold a week went by and no call. So I called them for like a week straight with no answer and no reply to my messages. I used my sister in law's phone and she picked up, no surprise there! She rudely told me that they were having a family problem and then hung up on me. Right then I was like, oh hell no! I was fuming to say the least.

Well, yesterday I called her again to see if I could reach her. No answer, again no surprise. About an hour later a police officer called and said that she had filed a complaint against me and that there was to be no more contact between us. That pushed me over the limit! The officer was sympathetic to my complaint, but since it's a civil matter, they can't get involved.

I called the business office to see if they had a business license and indeed they did. It was for appliance repair, not sells. I told the lady at the office that they sold me a dryer and she was quite surprised to hear that, since they have not paid any sales tax on anything and are not legally supposed to sell things. I also contacted the better business bureau and filled a complaint, to which they responded that they couldn't do anything b/c it's a civil matter.

So, basically i'm screwed out of my money on that. I called around and it's going to be around 150 to fix it, so we are just using an old dryer from aaron's aunt in return for aaron fixing her carpet. I guess there are just dishonest and lying people out there who will cheat you out of your dead mother's grave if they could (i know that sounds literal, but it's just a saying i've heard in the past, even though it may apply more to me than someone else:)

These are the times that just push my buttons beyond failing and make me want to go into law and change some things. I guess I'll just have to get over it and hope they get theirs one day.

5 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

KARMA IS A B V!!!! Thats all I can say, I'm so sorry you got screwed over like that, but as my man Justin Timberlake says "What goes around comes all the way back around" I love you, and I'm sooooooo sad you can't come tomorrow, I think your inlaws should watch the kiddies, besides I have a super cute B-day present for you!!! Well, If I can't see you tomorrow, then Hailey and I will drive up next week sometime to see you!!

BBC said...

veronica,
that's horrendous! you should totally take them to small claims court! see here: http://www.loganutah.org/Administration/Justice%20Courts/Small%20Claims/index.cfm
good luck!

The Clems said...

rude! i cant believe she called to cops! what a little...well, i wont say. at least you have another dryer in the meantime. good for standing up for yourself!

Andrea said...

Man, that sucks Vern!! I'm sorry. I can't tell you how many times we've been told, 'we can't do anything about it.... it's a civil issue'. And this is when our girls are involved. I have a hard time understanding what law enforcement is there for if they only have a handful of laws they can actually enforce. I have little faith in our court/law systems anymore. Good luck!

Arianne said...

Wow. I can't believe that. I wonder if you can file a complaint on craigs list somehow - just to warn other people about them and, of course, to make it harder for them to do business. Maybe you could put an add in the appliance section warning possible buyers about these people. Won't get you your money back but it might make you feel a little better! :)